Did you know that Thousand Oaks is a Tree City, USA community?
That’s right, for 17 years, Thousand Oaks has participated in the Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree City USA program.
As residents of the Conejo Valley, we all enjoy the benefits of the program, which include:
- Reduction in costs for erosion control and storm water management — and with the predicted El Nino rains coming, these savings could really mount up!
- Increased property values. True enough — when community areas contain well maintained trees, everyone’s property value gets a nudge up.
- A chance to celebrate: Arbor Day celebrations are fun!
- A framework for action. Adhering to four core standards is required to be a Tree City. One of the standards requires cities to maintain the health of their trees. With our abundance of oak trees in the Conejo Valley, this fits right in with our community philosophy.
- Education. The Arbor Day Foundation provides plenty of educational materials to help people learn how to conserve all aspects of the environment, including our trees.
For more information on the Arbor Day Foundation and Tree City USA program, visit the Tree City USA website.